Wednesday, March 13, 2013

First Week of Evening Rides

Tuesday evening saw both the OWLS and the iRiders start their seasons of early evening rides, thanks to the beginning of daylight savings time last Sunday. This week sunset is about 7:50 pm. It is wise to take extra precautions as people get used to biking and driving near dusk. Again it was cool but not unpleasant.

I can only report details for the OWLS who biked from Sherwood Oaks Church at 5:45 pm. Our group of eight did a standard ride out to the Waterworks via the new roundabout and Snoddy Road, and down Shady Side, returning via Harrell-Fairfax-Schacht, for about an18 mile loop. I had about 22 by the time I got home. 

I can say that for the first time drivers in the roundabout were a but pushy toward those of us on bikes. And this was spring break time, with reduced traffic I'm sure. So be careful and don't assume they won't try to cut you off!

It was altogether a perfectly moderate start to the new season. I was happy not to push for too much extra distance or speed so early in the season. Even so I averaged 14.5 mph from home to home on one of our flattest club routes, down from 15+ on the outbound part of the ride.

Thanks to Gail M especially for suggesting OWLS routes.

No comments:

Post a Comment