Monday, August 30, 2010

Flat Tires... eventually you will have one


By CE Taylor  

This isn't about how to fix them but how to tell if you have one.  This may sound like a no-brainer but the last flat tire I had caught me by surprise and taught me a hard lesson.  

I can't tell you how many times I have looked down at my rear tire while I was riding and swore it was flat because it felt like I was riding through sticky syrup.  Usually it was just me but a few times I could see my tire bulging out each side of the rim more than usual and I knew it was going flat.  One time I heard the tire making an unusual noise as it wrinkled around the rim it was so flat.  I would guess that most club members could share their flat back tire experiences and they would be something like this.

My last flat tire was different.   It was my front tire.  Maybe I was having a good day since it was only 3 miles into the ride, but I never felt that sticky or soft road feeling that a rear flat tires gives you.  What I did have but didn't realize why at the time was a slight wobble in the front wheel.  It only happened two or three times in three miles.  It was so slight and only lasted a couple of seconds each time that I ignored it thinking it was a rough spot in the road.  That turned out to be a big mistake.  A short time later, as I turned my bike left, the front tire rolled and/or slid to the right and I went straight down to the pavement.  I later discovered a thorn in my tire which had caused it to go very soft.  It wasn't flat yet but very soft.  It was soft enough to reduce the tire's ability to grip the road when cornering.  It was a learning experience I wouldn't recommend.  

I don't claim to be an expert on flat tires.  I can only share what I have experienced.  Your experience may be different.  I have learned that rear flats will usually make it harder to pedal.  Front flats are more dangerous because they will cause a loss of steering and handling ability, possibly resulting in an accident.

I am sharing my recent experience with the hope that other riders can learn from my mistake and avoid having an accident.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the warning, CE! Glad to see you're back on the bike.

    --Keith

    ReplyDelete