Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cordry-Sweetwater Lakes Ride 7/4/09

This 80+ mile ride was destined to have low-participation. It was a family-centered holiday and the weather prognosis was lousy. That evening
Mike Finger wrote:
"There were 5 of us that headed out on today's scheduled, Cordry Sweetwater ride, but the voice of reason had already begun to speak loudly within my head. Rain was coming-that was a certainty-only how long did we have before we were wet was the only question. Having been sick all week, the last thing I needed was to get soaked and stay that way all day in this cool weather. I bailed at Unionville, taking a right on Brummetts Creek road and John Connell came with me. That left Tom, Mike and Bruce to continue along the designated route. How did they do? Did they do the whole ride? Bail at some later point? Did they make a safe return to Bloomington? I, for one, am curious to know! By the time John and I got to Kerr Creek road on our way back, it was already raining. It is still raining as I type this at 9:30 in the evening!"

Later that week Mark Napier, the official leader of this ill-fated ride, sent along a group photo:



He also wrote, "Of those in the picture, Joe went straight home, Dave Tanner was heading to watch the parade. Others went various directions. To the best of my knowledge, nobody did the scheduled ride.

It rained over 2 inches that day.
"

Perhaps we'll reschedule this ride later in the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment