Tuesday, July 24, 2012

RAIN Appreciation from Danville


From Dick Whicker, Danville, IN 

Have done RAIN a number of times starting in the early ‘90’s but not for perhaps 4 years.  Though older and slower now, I must say that this was the best I’ve experienced from the numbers of riders, the subtle change in locations of the sags at Plainfield and Greenfield, the start at SMOTW, to the subtle changes in route, particularly thru Indianapolis, that seemed safer than in years past.  I also thought the water wagons with the Gatorade syrup was a great idea as it cut down on the long lines.  Also having ice available was another great idea.  Food selection at the sags was also good, as usual.  I liked the assistance getting thru Terre Haute without having to stop all the time; wish the same could be said for Indianapolis but we too have to “share the road.”  For the most part I thought that motorists were considerate and we riders always need to be considerate too, including stopping when required and not barreling thru stop signs/signals unless motorists stop and allow us to proceed, which I experienced on several occasions.  For the most part when riders are courteous, drivers are courteous. 

As a race director myself, I recognize and appreciate the tremendous amount of effort that goes into an event of this magnitude, so a million thanks to everyone who helped in any and all ways!


No comments:

Post a Comment