Friday, August 19, 2011

Four Bad Tubes

By Allan Edmonds

A couple of weeks ago I rushed out to the garage at 7:30 am to pump up my tires in preparation for heading to Bryan Park for the Saturday. The tire flatted. I proceeded to change out the tube and discovered a leak at the base of the valve stem. That's one reason I don't like smooth valve stems. Every time I put my pump on, it pushes the stem into the wheel slightly. After a year of that it eventually gave out.

I put a new tube in, pumped it up, and re-mounted the wheel on the bike, and it went BANG! Oh, no. I must have a bad tire.

At that point I gave up all plans of going on the club's Cordry-Sweetwater Ride.

Later I inspected more closely and couldn't find anything terribly wrong with the tire. What I did find was a long 8 or 10 inch split in that unused tube.

In any case I went downtown and bought a couple new tubes and put one in the tire and one in my seat pack, while waiting (impatiently) for Tuesday's OWLS ride.

We didn't get any farther than Snoddy Road when my tire went flat again. I changed out the tube (with another 4 inch split) with assistance from a few friends on the ride. Pumped it up. put it on the bike. FLAT AGAIN, with another split! John offered me his spare. To be safe he pumped it up slightly and found that it didn't hold air either. Another brand new tube with a pin prick hole. By then CE had come back looking for me and offered me his spare tube. That one held up.

By that point I was exhausted. That's when I noticed my right thumb hurt. It turned out that I had created a big blister trying to get my tire back on the first time without using a tire tool. (Subsequently my friends encouraged me to use a tire tool for the last little bit, which worked.)

My bike was working, but I decided just to head home.

Four Bad Tubes

Next day I bought two more tubes from another local shop. So far so good. I've done a Saturday tour and two weekday training rides with no problems. And a week and a half later my thumb is almost healed. A heck of a week, though. And that sore thumb got me to thinking about tire tools and how change tubes more easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment