Tuesday, March 22, 2011

OWLS Start the 2011 Season

This evening marked the beginning of the OWLS Tuesday-Thursday rides for this year. We had an amazing 28 riders out for a pleasant 19 mile ride out to the Pine Grove boat ramp and back. The Bryan Park training group probably had a dozen or more riders. (I haven't heard anything definite, although I saw a few people gathering there as I hurried home from work.) I imagine the club had over 40 riders out this evening.

All day long the weather looked a little questionable and around 5 there were a few very light sprinkles. But as the time came the rain held off. The weather was warm, indeed too warm for jackets.

I was the ostensible leader, but was a bit delayed at the office. I rolled up at 5:44 PM to the parking lot of the Sherwood Oaks Church on Rogers Rd. But by that time Tom R had already briefed the gathered group on the route and away we went. I was happy to take up a position near the rear.

At the turn-around at the lake club Safety Czar Chris Tietz offered a few useful suggestions reminding us to ride at most two abreast when there is any traffic at all and also to split up into smaller separated groups so that it is easier for a car to get around us.

It was a perfect opening day for the 2011 OWLS group.

No comments:

Post a Comment